- sand filter
- Why does the filter keep working even after high pressure backwash?
- Why does the filter short (pressure build up quickly after backwashing)?
- Why is there sand at the bottom of my pool?
- Why is dirt/sand getting into my sand filter?
- When do I need to change my litter?
- How do I change the sand in my filter?
- How can I backwash my filter?
- The sand filter tank is either round or egg-shaped. The sand contained in the filter filters impurities from the water as the water flows through the sand. The sand filter uses a multi-way valve to direct water through the filter or for backwash. Valves are top or side mounted. Both valves work the same way. In the filter position, the water is directed to the top of the sand bed and as the water flows through the sand, the sharp edges of the sand capture particles in the water. Clean water is pushed out of the filter through the bottom side arrangement. The side panels are shaped like a wagon wheel with small holes along the top edge to allow clean water to return to the pool, leaving sand and dirt in the filter.
back to top
Why does the filter keep working even after high pressure backwash?
- Be sure to follow the instructions in the Hayward owner's manual. The sand bed can become clogged with mineral deposits or other materials that are not washed away. Some calcium-based chlorine compounds and other alternative disinfectants can cause buildup in your sand bed. It may be necessary to change the sand.
- Before changing the sand in the filter, try to remove about an inch of the top layer of sand and replace it with the exact amount of sand you removed. This sometimes clears the sand bed of debris that is clogging the filter.
- It may be necessary to clean the filter system with a special filter cleaner. See your Authorized Hayward Dealer for proper procedures.
- Check for a closed or partially closed valve in the return line.
- Your pump may be too small to provide enough flow for proper flushing. Your filter will filter correctly, but if your pump is not delivering at least 60% of the filter's designed flow rate, your filter will never fully backwash. Check the label on your filter for flow rate requirements. It may be necessary to upgrade the pump or downsize the filter.
- The pump can also exceed the maximum allowable flow rate of the filter, resulting in excessive back pressure. Refer to the Hayward Filter Owner's Manual or the operating label on your filter for the maximum allowable flow rate. It may be necessary to downsize the impeller or pump to a smaller capacity or change the filter to one suitable for the pump flow. If a pump that exceeds the recommended flow rate of a sand filter continues, it can cause the sand bed to run (small channels in the sand that allow dirt to pass through without being filtered). This would result in dirt bypassing the filter.
back to top
Why does the filter short (pressure build up quickly after backwashing)?
- Consult the Hayward Owner's Manual for the correct backwash procedure. You might not be washing long enough. Always backflush until the water in the multiport valve sight glass is clear.
- You may have live algae clogging the filter. Mineral deposits can also form on the sand bed.
- It is highly recommended that you have your water tested at your local Hayward dealer. Compare these results with yours. You may need to update your test kit or replace test solutions.
back to top
Why is there sand at the bottom of my pool?
- The sand you use may be too small. Very small sand can pass through the side walls at the bottom of the filter and back into the pool. No. 20 quartz sand with a size of 0.45-0.55 mm is required. It is available from your local Hayward dealer.
- Before adding sand, remember to always remove a side piece (it will come off) from the side piece assembly at the bottom of the filter. Try putting some of the sand you want to add on the side wall. In addition to the debris sand (fine), 99% of the sand should remain in the sidewall. If most of the sand goes through the side holes, the sand is too small. Your pump may be too big or the sand level in the filter may be too high. When the filter is flushed, the water flow may cause the sand to rise high enough and overflow into the standpipe, causing the sand to flow back into the pool.Consult the Hayward Owner's Manual or filter label for the correct amount of sand for your filter.
back to top
Why is dirt/sand getting into my sand filter?
- A sidewall could be cracked or broken, the multiport valve could need service, or air could pass through the filter and cause a channel effect, allowing debris to pass through the filter.
- The filter manifold may have a broken or cracked side panel. You should inspect these side panels and replace them if necessary.
back to top
When do I need to change my litter?
- On average, sand should be replaced every 3-5 years. This can be longer if the pool stays clean or shorter if the filter is running all the time. The jagged edges of the sand wear down and become smooth as the sand ages. When this happens, the sand can no longer trap the debris, and the debris can pass through the sand and back into the pool.
- If the pool is chemically balanced, the system is running at the correct time and swimmers are normal, but the water does not clear even with the use of flocculant or clarifier, then the sand needs to be changed.
- As the sand ages, it can start to collect and the flow of water can create channels in the sand that allow debris to pass through. Ducting is often seen when the pump capacity is too high and tries to move too much water through the filter.
back to top
How do I change the sand in my filter?
- For our top mount filter,You must first disconnect the lines leading to the valve and open the drain plug on the filter. Next, remove the clamp that secures the multiport valve to the tank body. After the valve is removed, you can see the sand bed. The best way to remove sand is to use a handheld vacuum or simply scoop it out with a small can. After the old sand is removed, wash the inside of the tank with a hose to clean the filter. Once this water has drained, replace the drain cap and fill the tank 2/3 full with water. This is to protect the side set while new sand is being added. Add the sand little by little until the sides are completely covered, then just pour the remaining sand.DO NOT DOPut sand in the standpipe coming out of the bottom of the filter box. The standpipe can be covered with a paper cup to prevent sand from entering the tube.
- For a side-mounted tank, turn the selector valve to the closed position and open the filter drain plug. Remove the dome from the tank lid and expose the upper diffuser. The upper diffuser is removed and the old sand can be removed. The best way to remove sand is to use a handheld vacuum or simply scoop it out with a small can. After the old sand is removed, wash the inside of the tank with a hose to clean the filter. Once this water has drained, replace the drain cap and fill the tank 2/3 full with water. This is to protect the side set while new sand is being added. Add the sand little by little until the sides are completely covered, then just pour the remaining sand.DO NOT DOSand getting into the inner piping.
back to top
How can I backwash my filter?
- When the filter pressure rises 8-10 PSI above the clean outlet pressure, it's time for a backwash. Turn off the pump and turn the diverter valve to backwash. Turn on the pump and dirty water will come out of the sewer line. Once the water in the valve sight glass is clear, turn off the pump. Turn valve to flush. Turn on the pump for 20-30 seconds. This will clear the plumbing lines and reset the sand bed. Turn off the pump, turn the valve to the filter position and start filtering. Read this new clean start pressure to have a reference point for the next backwash cycle. It may be necessary to add water to the pool to replace the backwash water.
back to top
How do I contact Hayward? ›
1 (800) 657-2287 (U.S.)
Verify your MSP ID: from the Omni controller press "config", then "system info", the MSP ID is displayed at the top of the screen.How do you troubleshoot a Hayward pool pump? ›
Check all connections, circuit breakers, and fuses. Repair or replace any tripped breakers or blown fuses. Inspect the motor shaft for any obstructions. Remove the pump and basket, then look for and remove any debris in the shaft.How long is Hayward warranty? ›
The Industry's Best 3-Year Warranty
All products manufactured by Hayward Flow Control are warranted against defects in material or workmanship for a period of three years from date of shipment.
Hayward Pool Products, a division of Hayward Industries, Inc., is headquartered in Berkeley Heights, New Jersey; Hayward designs, manufactures and markets the Totally Hayward® System, a complete line of residential pool equipment including pumps, filters, heating, cleaners, sanitization, automation, lighting, safety ...Is Hayward made in China? ›
Hayward Industries, Inc | Manufactured in North Carolina.Who is the largest pool builder in the world? ›
Cody Pools has been named the #1 Pool Builder in the nation by Pool and Spa News Magazine in their list of the Top 50 Pool Builders list for 2022. California Pools & Landscape was acquired by Cody Pools Inc. in December of 2021.Who owns the biggest residential pool in the US? ›
Just exit 59 South for El Campo, Texas, and there it is! The world's largest residential pool is sandwiched between farmland and pastures and has become the talk of the close-knit town. It looks like an oversized community pool, and it is because all are welcome. But it happens to be in Mike Mobley's backyard.How do I connect to Hayward? ›
Press and hold the “Teach” button. Continue to hold the “Teach” button WHILE plugging in the power cord. Keep pressing the “Teach” button until all four LEDs blink in unison, then release button. Place the Aqua Connect Home Network in a desirable location close to the home network router.
How do I reset my Hayward pool controller? ›
If the Inspect Cell Light is the only LED light flashing, then you can reset it by simply holding down the diagnostic button for 3 seconds, then release. The Inspect Cell indicator will now reset and will later come back on after another 500 hours of use.How do I update Hayward OmniLogic firmware? ›
You need to bring the USB memory stick to the OmniLogic and simply plug it into the side of the Local Display behind the Dead Front. Next, you will go into OmniLogic's Configuration Menu and push Firmware Upgrade. The OmniLogic will automatically reboot with the new Firmware.How do I reset my Hayward pump? ›
According to the Hayward EcoStar user manual, all errors can be reset by pressing "Stop/Resume" when the error message is shown. You can also clear the code by cycling power applied to the pump after the error occurs.How do you diagnose a pool pump problem? ›
If the pool pump motor shaft isn't rotating, check to see if the motor is jammed with debris. If the pump turns on but isn't running full steam and you hear a humming noise, check your capacitor. The capacitor starts your pump with a jolt of electricity.What is the life expectancy of a Hayward pool pump? ›
On average, pool pumps last eight to 12 years before needing replacement.Should a Hayward pool pump run continuously? ›
A good guideline is 8-10 hours a day. On the cooler days and early and late season, you can cut the run time down to 4-6 hours because there is usually less swimmers and cooler water requires less chemicals.Why does my Hayward pool pump keep losing prime? ›
Debris blocking the suction strainer or foot valve is the most common cause. A blockage in the intake line can cause the water in the pump casing to overheat and literally boil out of the casing causing the pump to lose prime.What is the typical warranty on a pool? ›
The industry standard warranty on most pool components is one year although some builders have agreements with their equipment providers that extends their coverage to three years.What is better Hayward or Pentair? ›
When you find a cheap Hayward product and a similarly cheap Pentair product, don't think twice before grabbing Hayward as for a similar price it is arguably better. Haywards pumps are very well built. Some models come with big pump baskets and sturdy and reliable valves by TriStar.Why is there a shortage of pool chemicals? ›
On top of the fires, the pandemic left pool owners spending more time at home in their pools than ever before. As a result of the growing demand from 2020 to now, pool chlorine will continue to diminish in supply in 2022.
Is Amazon a Hayward authorized dealer? ›
"We do honor new Hayward items purchased from Amazon. Please file your receipt or installation paperwork in case you have any problems with the equipment.How long should a Hayward pool cleaner last? ›
Quick Answer: Typical Lifespan of an Automatic Pool Cleaner
On average, you can expect your automatic pool cleaner to last around 4 to 5 years.
Pool Filter Life
Pool filter cartridges can run for about 2,000 hours in a filter pump and should be replaced every 1-2 years.
Trek Pools are the only container pool made in the USA by qualified craftsman and women. Starting with a single use shipping container, we fabricate custom container pools for the US. It is our goal to provide you a strong and durable pool that will last for many years.What is the most popular shape pool? ›
#1 – Rectangle
The most classic swimming pool shape of all is a rectangular pool. They're not the most creative shape, but they're a classic, making them a popular and practical choice for many. This is a great choice if you want a pool to take laps in or just like geometric pools.
The experts are a split on how much a pool can contribute to a home's value. One HouseLogic study suggests an increase of 7 percent, at most, under ideal conditions, while HGTV reports that the average in-ground pool can up your property's value by 5 to 8 percent.What above ground pool will last the longest? ›
Resin. Resin pools are one of the most popular options because they really are the toughest, longest-lasting above ground pools you can find.Why are pools gated in Florida? ›
We all know there's never a shortage of sunny days in the Sunshine State, but those sunny days also come with harsh UV rays that can damage your skin. Pool enclosures filter the sunlight, providing great UV protection for both you and your guests.
With streamlined platform navigation and quicker platform access, monitor your customer's pool settings and parameters more easily and efficiently. Find the iPad® and iPhone® App on the iTunes® Store and the Android™ App on Google® Play. Available on Hayward ProLogic®, AquaPlus®, and AquaRite® Pro.
Turn the filter pump on. You must reset the system by entering the 'Diagnostic Menu' and then hitting the right arrow key once and then pushing the plus key once. This should reset the light and message.
How do I reset my aquatrol? ›
To reset, move the switch to 'Off' and then back to 'Auto'. Wait for the relay to click (5 to 10 seconds).How do I pair my Hayward pool remote? ›
Touch and hold the MENU button on the AquaPod 2.0 for 4 seconds. The pool control display should say “Teach Wireless: Successful”.How do I reset my Hayward Aqua Connect? ›
While holding down the button plug in the power cable. Keep holding down the teach button until the LEDs flash in unison; once flashing let go of the teach button and watch the LEDs.Why is my pool pump humming and not turning on? ›
If your pump doesn't turn on and instead makes a humming sound, it could be a problem with your capacitor or a jammed motor. But if it makes a humming sound that continues until your circuit breaker trips, you can be fairly certain it's a flawed capacitor.What is the average cost to replace a pool pump? ›
How much does a pool pump cost? According to HomeAdvisor, the cost of a pool pump ranges from $700 to $1,500, with many homeowners spending around $1,100. A single-speed pump can cost as little as $500 to replace, and a higher quality pool pump or one that requires additional plumbing work can cost as much as $5,450.Is it OK to run pool pump 24 hours a day? ›
Some commercial properties require 24-hour a day pump circulation, but as a homeowner, this is not advisable. If you are lucky enough to own an Energy Efficient, Variable Speed swimming pool pump (VSP) then , yes, technically you could run your pump for 24 hours a day.Is it OK to leave pool pump running all the time? ›
The water must be circulating so the chemicals get distributed throughout the water. You can — and should — add pool shock at night, though. The sun can burn shock off during the hot daytime hours, but you still need to have the pump running to circulate the water.Is it worth fixing a pool pump? ›
Within the first five years, you will probably need to replace a motor on the pump and maybe a few pump baskets or seals. It generally makes good sense to spend the money to repair it because the rest of the pump is still in good condition and has several good years left in it.How long is warranty on Hayward pool heater? ›
The HAYWARD heat pump pool heater is warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year. The compressor is warranted for two (2) years, and the titanium tube component of the heat ex- changer has a ten (10) year warranty.Who is the CEO of Hayward? ›
Hayward CEO Kevin Holleran on the company's public debut.
What is Hayward Expert line? ›
The Hayward Expert Line is an array of premium Hayward products with features and benefits that are only available to the trade and not for sale online. These product offerings will be available exclusively to brick-and-mortar dealers, builders and servicers who can educate consumers on the product's use and features.Is Hayward a good brand? ›
It's reliable and easy to maintain, while the salt cells are actually very well made and long-lasting. Hayward makes very reliable heaters and they are surprisingly rodent proof.Is it worth repairing a pool heater? ›
Swimming pool heater repair is an investment in the life of your pool heater. Or rather, an extension to be exact. When you repair your unit, you're choosing to keep it around longer. To restore it so it can keep heating your pool for years to come.How long do Hayward pool Motors last? ›
Your pool pump should be replaced anywhere between 8 to 15 years depending on the quality, and a full replacement may cost over $800. Your pool pump is the “heart” of your swimming pool as it circulates water throughout, bringing water through the filtration and heating systems.Can I run my pool heater 24 hours? ›
These stop rapid heat loss from happening, keep pool water from evaporating and have the extra benefit of keeping your swimming pool cleaner. If you live in an area where the ambient temperature change from day to night is not huge, then it's ok to run your heater overnight too.Who is Anthony Hayward? ›
Anthony Hayward is a journalist and author who has written about television and film in national newspapers and magazines for more than 25 years. His books include In the Name of Justice: The Television Reporting of John Pilger and Which Side Are You On?Who is the CEO of TCA? ›
Samuel Johnson - Chief Executive Officer - Transportation Corridor Agencies (TCA) | LinkedIn.How do you negotiate with a pool builder? ›
Tell them that you expect their best offer (in an easy-to-understand, itemized format), and that you'll be comparing it against other pool builders in the area. If a builder's offer seems high, you can always ask for a lower price – just make sure you have a fallback plan in case they say no.What PSI should my Hayward pool filter be at? ›
Generally speaking, a pressure reading between 10 – 25 psi can be considered normal. Once you have installed a new filter, turn everything on and take a baseline reading.Is Hayward Made in USA? ›
Hayward Industries, Inc | Manufactured in North Carolina.
What was Hayward originally called? ›
When the town was incorporated on March 11, 1876, it was officially named “Haywards” after the landmark hotel. The “s” was dropped several years later. Hayward's climate, soil, and perfect location in the heart of the Bay Area have spurred tremendous growth for decades.Is it cheap to live in Hayward? ›
Hayward's housing expenses are 92% higher than the national average and the utility prices are 31% higher than the national average. Transportation expenses like bus fares and gas prices are 35% higher than the national average. Hayward has grocery prices that are 31% higher than the national average.